|News & Events
SUN MICROSYSTEMS KEEN TO INVEST IN PAKISTAN
KARACHI, Jan 16 Asia Pulse - Sun Microsystems - the US IT giant - plans to invest in Pakistan in partnership with private and public organizations.
Sun Microsystems officials revealed investment design in a meeting with Awais Ahmed Khan Leghari, Federal Minister for IT and Telecom at Islamabad. (Source)
- Potential for investment in oil and gas sector
A delegation of the China Petroleum Engineering Construction Corporation (CPECC) headed by Vice President Lui Xi Hui called on Federal Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Amanullah Khan Jadoon on Friday and discussed the potential for investment in oil and gas sector. CPECC is a subsidiary of the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) owned by the government of the People's Republic of China. The minister praised the CPECC's contribution in laying PARCO's 850km-long white oil pipeline project from Karachi to Mehmood Kot and invited the group to participate in forthcoming mega projects for the setting up of acoastal refinery, LNG terminals and pipeline construction.
- Energy sector was growing
Adviser to the Prime Minister on Finance Salman Shah said that the energy sector was growing at a much quicker rate than the economy which is growing at 7 percent. He added that the government was working towards the implementation of a comprehensive energy plan by 2030. He was speaking at a meeting with Sui Southern Gas Company Managing Director Munawar Baseer Ahmed at the SSGC Head Office. "The plan is under implementation and focuses on the fact that energy will drive future economic growth," The advisor was informed by the SSGC managing director that the company had spoken of the concept of Pakistan as Asia's energy corridor at a recent energy conference in China.
- Chairman Senate Muhammad Mian Soomro has urged upon members of Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan (REAP) to work jointly with growers, millers, exporters and all other stakeholders to meet rice export target set for year 2010. He was speaking to REAP members at a ceremony held to celebrate $1.1 billion export mark during fiscal 2005-06 besides of unopposed selection of five Managing Committee members belonging to South Group for next three years evening. He congratulated REAP members for achieving ambitious rice export target during last fiscal year and stressed upon exporters to focus on Research and Development activities at Kala Shah Kaku and Dokri Rice Research Institutes.
- Minister for Tourism Nilofar Bakhtiar on Friday said the government was making all out efforts to make the country an attractive destination for foreign tourists and also promote domestic tourism. She was addressing the concluding session of a consultative conference of Pakistani press officers posted abroad, which was held by the External Publicity Wing of the Ministry of Information. The minister said a tourism marketing strategy, focussed on historical and cultural sites of international significance in Pakistan, was being followed.
- The World Bank had rated Pakistan as the 10th most attractive state for investment in the world. According to a report telecast by PTV, Britain has become second largest investing country in Pakistan as 70 UK companies are investing in country's mega projects including modernising Pakistan Railways. Moreover, the bilateral trade between Pakistan and United Kingdom has crossed over $2 billion mark. The UK is also the largest country in terms of remittances to Pakistan, the report adds. Last year the total inflow of foreign investment in Pakistan was around US $3.5 billion which shows a great confidence of foreign investors in government's economic policies and peaceful environment for investment.
- Mobilink, Pakistan's leader in cellular services and part of the Orascom Telecom group, inaugurated a state-of-the-art and highly scalable advanced Network Operations Center in Lahore, designed to monitor nationwide cell sites and raise efficiency levels to address network and customer issues, says a release issued here Friday. The advanced data and technical facility was inaugurated by Mr. Zouhair A. Khaliq, President & CEO, Mobilink in the company of Mr. Marwan Hayek, Chief Technical Officer; Mr. Irfan Akram, Vice President Sales; Mr. Tariq Durrani, Regional Sales Director; Mr. Mustafa paracha, Head of Customer Services, and staff of the center.
- The government is to set up 100 technical education and vocational training institutions on fast track basis to supplement the National Vocational and Technical Education Commission's (NAVTEC) comprehensive programme to produce one million appropriately skilled workforce annually by 2010.
This initiative would also help the government to meet the requirements of the skilled workforce of the export-oriented industries, which are at present facing an acute shortage of sk1illed workers to enhance production of exportable products, a government official told the Daily Times on Friday.
- Emaar Pakistan, the country-arm of global real estate major Emaar Properties, has rolled out its first master-planned community in Pakistan, the Canyon Views. A mixed-use development integrating residential, commercial, leisure and retail components, Canyon Views is located within the DHAI Phase 2 extension in Islamabad, says a press release. "Canyon Views is the first of three projects of development value Rs 145 billion (US $2.4 billion) announced by Emaar in the country," said Mohammed Al Falasi, Managing Director, Emaar Pakistan. Emaar is also developing the highlands in Islamabad and Crescent Bay in Karachi apart from having signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Port Qasim Authority to develop a mixed-use project in Karachi, it said.
- “PAKISTAN BETTER PLACE TO INVEST” SAYS FRENCH AMBASSADOR
- RAIMLERCHRYSLER TO INVEST IN PAKISTAN
- LEADING INDIAN COMPANY EXPRESSES INTEREST TO INVEST IN
- TATA STEEL KEEN TO INVEST IN PAKISTAN
- PAKISTAN CALL CENTER INDUSTRY IS EXPANDING
- US FIRM TO INVEST IN PAKISTAN
- UAE, GERMAN GROUP TO INVEST IN PAKISTAN
- Workshop on Improving Pakistan 's Investment Climate: World Development Report 2005 & Doing Business in 2005 Dissemination
|© Copyrights 2005
- 2013, Invest In Pakistan. All rights reserved.